Pear Crumble Muffins

Ah, 'tis the harvest season and if you're lucky to live in the countryside, it's not hard to get your hands on fruits from neighbours and roadside honesty boxes. But even if you don't live out in the rolling hills like me, picking up seasonal British apples and pears in the grocery stores is a snap for making my next recipe.

As an American, I do love my muffins and I've gone through obsessive phases of muffin making over the years.  Nowadays, with my business taking up more of my time, I don't get to do much baking. But I found this recipe I had jotted down a while back, tucked into one of my notebooks.  And given the time of year, I thought it appropriate to post.

I had sort of based it on a pear cobbler (that's American for crumble) recipe I have in one of my good ol' Cooking Light cookbooks. Also, as so often recipes are created, I probably had a couple pears to use up that the kids weren't going to eat. It turned out a lovely, moist muffin that's delicious for breakfast or a snack. And I think substitutions would be simple. I apologize in advance for my lack of consistency with measures.  When baking, I usually use my American measuring cups and spoons simply because it's quick and easier for me. For conversions, I sometimes use this site:  www.convert-me.com

Pear Crumble Muffins

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup wholemeal (whole wheat) flour
  • 1/4 cup plain (all purpose) flour
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal (maize/polenta)
  • 1 cup oats (porridge oats)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
  • 1 cup  pears, chopped (about 1 1/2 pears)
  • 150ml apple juice (5 US oz., just shy of 2/3 cup)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon wholemeal flour
  • 1 tablespoon butter, chilled
 Method

  1. Preheat oven to 200C/400F. 
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl (flours through nutmeg), stirring well. Make a well in the center.
  3. Combine chopped pear and wet ingredients (through oil) in another bowl, whisking well. Pour pear mixture into the well of the dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined.  Do not over mix or muffins will be tough. Pour batter into 12-muffin pan (greased or with paper liners), filling 3/4 full.
  4. Combine last 3 ingredients in a small bowl and cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives. Blend until mixture resembles large bread crumbs. Sprinkle roughly a teaspoonful of crumble mixture over each muffin.
  5.  Bake for 14-15 minutes in preheated oven or until done. When gently pressed and they spring back, they are done.  Remove immediately to cooling rack.

Comments

Popular Posts