Quiche Lorraine in the Garden

When my husband Steve is away on business or arrives too late to eat, I like to have meals for the kids and me that he hates! Tonight he was coming home late from London (5 or so hours by train) so I knew he wouldn't be eating a full dinner. Therefore, it was quiche on the menu.

I did a variation on the classic Quiche Lorraine by reducing the amount of bacon (and pastry) and adding my leftover greens that were just about to go. The result was delicious. I also added some garlic for a bit more zip. I tend to throw garlic into lots of dishes.

Quiche Lorraine in the Garden

Ingredients

  • 85-100g (3-4oz) shortcrust pastry (pie crust)
  • 4 strips streaky bacon
  • 15g (3-4 Tbsp.) flat leaf parsley
  • 70g (1 1/2 cups) spinach, rocket (arugula) or a combination, chopped
  • 1 (20g) slice Emmental (Swiss) cheese
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 3 large eggs
  • 200ml (1 cup) milk
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • 45g (1/2 cup) mature cheddar, grated
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5.
2. Line a 7 or 8 inch flan or pie dish with pastry.
3. Fry bacon till desired crispiness. (I like mine really crispy!) Allow to cool, then chop.
4. Place Emmental slice on the bottom of pastry case and cover with bacon. (I break the cheese in two pieces and spread them out a bit.) Mix together chopped greens and garlic and spread over bacon.
5. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper and pour over greens. Sprinkle evenly with cheddar.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until set and golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts